I have learnt
* DDL ( data definition language ) varies from one implementation to another.
* it is easier and faster to maintain for one (database) backend , rather than across many.
* libgda is good when you are designing a application to manage databases.
* libgda is an overkill, when all you need to do is to maintain a small database.
* sqlite is fast, small, well documented, and has an active support over irc.
* to restrict db related code to as few files as possible.
* sqlite is an excellent resource to look up implementation of ".import" command.
* using git ( or any othe vcs ) saves a lot of time.